Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Second lesson on interpretations

My lateset lesson on Goblin Market was discovering what others interpretations were on this poem. Other groups did; erotic, femenism, moral and redemption. I think the best interpretation of goblin market would be erotic as I think there are many examples that can back up this point.
Firstly, Rossetti uses subtle descriptons in this peom such as ''unpecked cherrys'' I think this represents Lauras virginity. However, Laura does loose this innocence when she sells part of her hair (''golden curl'') this symbolises prostitiution as Laura is selling herself to the Goblin men.
Another example of erotica in this poem is when Lizzie buys the addictive fruit for Laura, to help her get better. However when she does so, the goblins take advantage of Lizzie and force her to become addicted. ''Held her hands and squeezed their fruits'', this to me seems like a sexual harrasment as she is beaten up in persuasion to become addicted, just like her sister Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment